Edward A. Wovchko
Assistant Professor & Chair of Chemistry
B.S., Saint Vincent College, 1992. Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh, 1998.
318 Christopher Hall of Science
Post Doctoral Experience and Previous Appointments:
Research Assistant Oak Ridge National
Nanoscale Science, Biophysical Chemistry and Molecular Electronics Group
Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Lecturer in Chemistry
Courses Taught at WVWC:
Physical Chemistry and Laboratory [junior/senior level]
Advanced Inorganic Chemistry and Laboratory [junior/senior level]
Principles of Chemistry & Laboratory [accelerated freshmen/sophomore level]
Experimental Design [junior/senior level]
Chemistry Seminar [senior level, current literature, scientific writing]
Independent Study/Research [junior/senior level]
Introduction to Chemistry & Laboratory [non-science major chemistry]
General Chemistry [introductory general, organic, and biochemistry]
Summary of Research Interests:
Ed Wovchkos research is experimental physical and inorganic chemistry specializing in the analysis of fundamental chemical processes occurring on the surfaces of high area materials using spectroscopy, ultrahigh vacuum techniques, and flow systems. Ed is interested in developing synthetic routes using heterogeneous photocatalysts, studying the surface chemistry of novel materials, investigating the thermal destruction of hazardous molecules on solid adsorbents, and photochemical water splitting. For more information, click here.
Presentations: (beginning with most recent)
56th Southeastern Regional
presentation at ACS 56th Southeastern
presentation at ACS 56th Southeastern
presentation at 19th Consecutive American Chemical Society Pittsburgh
Section Student Affiliates Meeting, April 24, 2004, Duquesne University,
Performance Assessment of a New Variable Temperature
Infrared Cell for Powdered Catalysts and High Area Materials. D.
Wentz (WVWC undergraduate) E.A.
presentation at 14th Annual Saint Joseph's University Sigma Xi Student
College Department of Chemistry Fall 2002 Colloquium,
ACS National Meeting,
College Department of Chemistry Spring 2002 Colloquium,
ACS National Meeting;
30th Central Regional
presentation at 1995 MRC "Frontiers in Materials Science - 1995",
presentation at 1994 MRS meeting,
List of Publications: (chronologically ordered)
1. Active Sites on SiO2 - Role in CH3OH Decomposition, Wovchko, E.A.; Camp, J.C.; Glass, J.A., Jr.; Yates, J.T., Jr. Langmuir 1995, 11, 2592.
2. Decomposition of CCl4 on CaO, Koper, O.B.; Wovchko, E.A.; Glass, J.A, Jr.; Yates, J.T., Jr.; Klabunde, K.J. Langmuir 1995, 11, 2054.
3. FTIR Studies of CH3OH on Porous Silicon, Glass, J.A., Jr.; Wovchko, E.A.; Yates, J.T., Jr. Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 1995, 358, 399.
4. Reaction of Methanol with Porous Silicon, Glass, J.A., Jr.; Wovchko, E.A.; Yates, J.T., Jr. Surf. Sci. 1995, 338, 125.
5. The Heterogeneous Photochemical Activation of H2 - Photoreduction of RhI(CO)2/Al2O3 by H2, Wovchko, E.A.; Yates, J.T., Jr. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1995, 117, 12557.
6. Reaction of Atomic Hydrogen with Hydrogenated Porous Silicon - Detection of Precursor to Silane Formation, Glass, J.A., Jr.; Wovchko, E.A.; Yates, J.T., Jr. Surf. Sci. 1996, 348, 325.
7. Nitrogen Chemisorption on Coordinatively Unsaturated RhI site on Al2O3, Wovchko, E.A.; Yates, J.T., Jr. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1996, 118, 10250.
8. Active Sites on Catalyst Surfaces as Studied by Infrared Spectroscopy, Yates, J.T., Jr.; Wovchko, E.A. proceedings of Second Australian Conference on Vibrational Spectroscopy 1996, Oct. 2-4, 90.
9. FTIR Study of the Adsorption and Thermal Behavior of Vinyltriethoxysilane Chemisorbed on g-Al2O3, Kuznetsova, A.P.; Wovchko, E.A.; Yates, J.T., Jr. Langmuir 1997, 13, 5322.
10. Reducing Radiation Damage in Raman Spectroscopy of Powdered Materials, Wovchko, E.A.; Yates, J.T., Jr.; Scheithauer, M.; Knφzinger, H. Langmuir 1998, 14, 552.
11. Photochemical Activation of CO2 on RhI(CO)2/Al2O3 CO2 Dissociation and Oxygen Atom Exchange, Wovchko, E.A.; Yates, J.T., Jr. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1998, 120, 7544.
12. Activation of O2 on a Photochemically generated RhI site on Al2O3 Surface - Low Temperature O2 Dissociation and CO Oxidation, Wovchko, E.A.; Yates, J.T., Jr. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1998, 120, 10523.
13. Electronic Excitation of RhI(CO)2 Species on Al2O3 Surfaces - Photodissociation of the RhI-CO bond, Wovchko, E.A.; Zubkov, T.S.; Yates, J.T., Jr. J. Phys. Chem. B 1998, 102, 10535.
14. Bond Activation in Molecules Using Photochemically Generated Catalyst Sites - RhI(CO)2/Al2O3 Surface Chemistry, Wovchko, E.A.; Yates, J.T., Jr. review article Langmuir 1999, 15, 3506.
15. Electronic Excitation of RhI(CO)2 Species on Al2O3 Surfaces, Zubkov, T.S.; Wovchko, E.A.; Yates, J.T., Jr. J. Phys. Chem. B 1999, 103,5300.
16. Infrared Spectroscopic Investigation of the Surface Reaction of Phosphorous Trifluoride on g-Al2O3, Wang, X.; Wovchko, E.A. Langmuir 2003, 19, 5295.
17. Surface Photochemistry of Rh(CO)2 on Zeolite Y Production of a Stable Coordinatively Unsaturated Rhodium Monocarbonyl Surface Species at Room Temperature, Wang, X.; Wovchko, E.A. submitted to J. Phys. Chem. B.
19. Photocatalytic Oxidation of CO on Supported Rhodium Catalysts Wovchko, E.A.; Lee, J.; Wang, X. in preparation.
Computational Scientist Search Committee 2001-2002
Faculty Representative to the Honor Board 2001-2002
Science Lab Committee Fall 2002
Search Committee (
Committee on Independent Majors 2002-2003
Major Chemistry Departmental Responsibilities (BMC 2000-2003):
Chemistry Colloquium Organization and Scheduling
Network Wiring Liaison
Inorganic/Physical Chemistry Laboratory Renovation Committee
Liquid Nitrogen and Gas Cylinder Handler
Chemistry Graduate Student Journal Club Facilitator
Experimental Physical Chemistry Laboratory Renovation Liaison
Undergraduate Research Presentations Coordinator Fall 2002
Undergraduate Research Poster Session Coordinator Spring 2003